zaterdag 10 maart 2018

BlackLab – Under A Strawberry Moon


BlackLab – Under A Strawberry Moon
Self released – 2018
Rock, Doom, Core
Rated: *****

This female duo from Osaka, Japan give us distorted guitars that riff with the weight of unpromised misery, which slowly ooze out of the speakers giving the songs a suffocating feel that rolls over the senses. There is a feel of rock’n’roll straining to break free and the odd lurch into Hardcore spices things up. Vocals are reverbed and buried deep in the mix with claustrophobic results. For me, doom has always meant more than recycled Sabbath riffs or lyrics about burning witches. Hell, I love to listen to that all day long but I also want concrete heavy guitars, slow hypnotic grooves, an atmosphere of uneasy feelings, a soundtrack that can match the tedium and hopelessness that I sometimes find myself in. BlackLab deliver all that and more - original riffs, great song compositions and the finishing touch that gets my full vote of approval – a raw production which perfectly suits the music and makes me want to weep tears of joy as I break things with a lump of wood with nails in the end.

(Written by Tony Maim)



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Opmerking: Alleen leden van deze blog kunnen een reactie posten.